Monday, November 20, 2006

sleeping with the light on


So yesterday I went to one of the best galleries in Madrid, the Prado, to see one of the best collections of European art (circa 13th Century - 20th Century) and amidst the 50 odd rooms (yes 50) 7 of them were dedicated to Goya. One of Spain's most influencial painters and certainly a favourite of mine. His work is so varied from his stylised almost cartoonish paintings of Christ to the complete dark side which had me screaming with fear.

'Saturno' (above) is one of my favourites and one of his most well known. It is based on the story of the mythologial Saturn, devouring his son in a fit of jealousy and rage.

I've also gotten to see Peter Paul Rubens' version of this as well and although this one is highly critisised in comparision to that one, I prefer Goya's version.

I love how he has broken Saturn down to a simple demonic creature possesed by his own insecurities, how he has physically deteriorated and how it looks as though he is about to be devoured by darkness himself in a matter of seconds.

Plus this painting scares the be-jebus out of me. I love it when that happens

2 comments:

Evol Kween said...

Yeah Goya is cool. I love all that series of etchings about the horrors of war, you know those etchings which Jake and Dinos Chapman turned into kitsch dioramas?

euro trash said...

I saw that too!

The Tate Liverpool have their 'Disasters of War' diorama. That was crazy. I remember looking at all the figurines for about an hour.

Toots, you should just bloody come over! Chuck in your job, (and bring Andrew over if you must!)and I'll meet you in Morocco in a few days!