Wednesday, May 02, 2007

acoustical noise..... n shit

The other night Leanne and I went to the Royal Festival Hall to catch the special acoustic tuning event that residents Saint Etienne had put on. It was invite only but seeing as Leanne is the Southbank events manager, she gets freebies to everything so we thought we go along. Thank goodness we did because the show ended up being a fantastic eclectic mix of some of London's best. As well as Saint Etienne (not really my cup of tea. They're too non offensive!) Shlomo (effing brilliant beatboxer) Bert Jansh (Dylanesque folk) Sonic Boom (ex spaceman 3 dude. I love him but I'm sure you can imagine the stuffy old donors crowd that thought he was called Sonic Doom thought. He single handedly decimated the audience) and personal favorite, Billy Childish all played short sets. RFH is going to be brilliant when it re-opens (Leanne is organising the opening party) the sound is pretty much spot on, though there was some echo issues (made worse after sonic boom because the hall was so much emptier) and a bit of unexpected fuzz but all in all the hall is looking fantastic.
I'm really looking forward to the Meltdown festival that Jarvis Cocker is curating. He has put together a great line up and I've wrangled my way into free tickets to SUNN O))) (I'm bragging about this to everyone. If you don't know them, SUNN O))) are a crazy doom/drone metal band thats soul aim is to play music at such a low level that you shit you pants. Literally they aim for the brown note. The last time I saw them I distinctly remember bowel vibrations going on) the Jesus and Mary Chain and also to Jarvis (where I will hopefully get to meet the man himself at which pioint I will more than likely do a SUNN O)))
This Summer is going to be awesome. I can feel it in my waters

3 comments:

Evol Kween said...

All Hail Sunn O))). You HAVE to check out Xasthur - the main guy, Malefic, is the guy doing vocals on the last track of Sunn 0)))'s 'Black One' - They gave Malefic a mic, put him in a coffin, put the coffin in a hearse and said "Now scream".

Xasthur's black metal is the most hypnotic, twisted and doomed sound ever.

Evol Kween said...

PS Sunn 0))) are playing at the Hi Fi Bar on wednesday. I haven't bought a ticket yet cause I'm being careful with cash.......but I might have to.....

euro trash said...

do it do it do it