Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pick which chubby toddler I am

So last night I was planning on writing a blog on the brilliant Tony Oursler exhibition I saw the other week (It may still happen. Its moved into the potential blog pile) until I got an email from an aunt I've recently got back in touch with. Shes one of the many black sheep of my family and has been off the radar for a number of years. Feeling a bit sentimental after being away from the family for a number of years, she sent me this old photo

Theres so much joy and love in this photo, its a shame I don't remember it. My family has been through a lot of heartbreak. Some of the people in this photo are no longer with us, some are no longer classed as members of the family. At this exact moment though, it looks like we couldn't be happier. Everyone is smiling (bizarrely, with the exception of me. Maybe because I knew a cousin was trying to give me those stupid "bunny ears" in the photo!) and looks like they genuinely care about each other. How did we get from this to where we are today? In any case, I think I actually feel comforted by this photo in a weird sort of way. Like, we may not be this family anymore, and I may not remember it but we were capable of being the family I always wanted.

1 comment:

Gym Class Magazine said...

That photo is so cool. You look like an all-American sit-com family.