Sunday, April 22, 2007

I heart JM

So I had my little taste of home the other night at the Mum Smokes gig. Although I was always bound to say that it was a great set (I may still have a teeny tiny crush on Jon Michell, the lead guitarist and vocalist which has reared its ugly head once more seeing as he asked me out. tee hee) I have to say it wasn't their best show. Still good but I guess it just lacked the energy that is always present at their home shows because they never seem like shows, they're like parties. Everyone knows each other and theirs always a bit of banter with the crowd (usually it comes in the form of Justin. He loves a bit of a taunting. Incidentally, he was the one at the Ariel Pink show yelling 'Play some Red Hot Chili Peppers!') The set was a mix of old favorites (they played both Simple Life and Gardening Plans, two of my all time favorites) and newbies (one in particular that had Karl and Justin on vocals. Hmm, the jury's still out on this one) A bit of unrequited feedback showed up and the sound at the George isn't the greatest but truthfully, the show could have been the biggest piece of shite and I wouldn't have cared, I was just happy to see some peeps from home.

HTRK however had the crowd hypnotised. Well at least the males in the crowd were. Their music is the stuff you want to listen to at ear shatteringly loud volume while having sex in a stiflingly hot pitch black room (or maybe thats just me) I don't know why I'm so resistant to like HTRK and I think it just boils down to jealousy to be honest. Jonnine has this unbelievably powerful sexual hypnosis over the crowd. At one point I turned around and the guys looked like a bunch of zombies. What I hate is that she knows it and really plays up on it whilst remaining completely free from humour and any glimpse of self deprecation. Again, is this just my own jealousies and insecurities that are the problem? HTRK are not too dissimilar to my band. We both have these bass-y tribal beats and try to steer clear of the verse chorus verse chorus song format. The biggest difference is that they got to do it first. They even got to move to Berlin first so needless to say their egos are out of control at the moment. When we finally make the move to Berlin though can you just imagine the monster I'm going to become?......

No comments: