Tuesday, July 17, 2007

from fifteen to two to one

Apologies for my blogger slackness of late. I've been too busy with visitors and daunting job propositions to give you my full attention but I'm back in the land of blog so here is the latest....
  • The designers finally arrived and we had a great time. I showed them around the East and took them to some great galleries (sadly they missed Damien Hirst by 2 days) and some great shopping (Hello Nog) and in return they took me to Jamie Oliver's 'Fifteen' in Shoreditch. The food was divine (I had the caprese salad with tomatoes straight from Jamie's garden apparently and the gnocchi with pork ragu) Possibly the only thing to tarnish the evening was the fact that her two kids were quite tired and decided to have a pyscho attack right there in the middle of the restaurant complete with the older daughter throwing cushions at her father and screaming at the top of her lungs that she hated us all. Oh how the other diners loved us.
  • As well as having the designers here two of my friends from Belfast came over for the weekend. The two booze hounds had been to London before but haven't done the whole tourist thing so it was fun for me to play the tour guide and show them around my London. I found myself constantly smiling and looking at London with a fondness that has taken 6 months to develop but is now firmly lodged in my affections. I really do love it here now.
  • The biggest news that I have is that while I was with the designers, I was quickly informed that the old offer of me being the New York Manager was still on the table. The current Manager extended his contract for another year after I had to turn them down this year but that runs out in May 2008 (coincidentally when my UK visa runs out) and he is definitely planning on coming home to Australia next year. He says he has loved New York but is tired and wants to come home. This means that I have the opportunity to move to New York for 3 years (or longer if I choose to stay on) Liane says that Dinosaur will obviously get my visa for me and let me stay in their apartment until I find my own place.... if I take the job. They seem to have total faith in me and I can't believe they are offering me the job again after I dicked them around so much in the beginning of the year. Its such an amazing opportunity I don't know if I can turn it down twice, although I have to say, its a huge responsibility plus it still scares the shit out of me (they would have to make me a Managing Director of the company and I would do all the American and European press as well as run the store eeek!) and I still don't know if I'm ready for it but I guess if they have faith in me.... I trepidatiously mentioned it to Peter the other night and he is completely on board. He thinks it would be a great experience for us to live in New York for a few years and made us start looking at apartments straight away to see where we could afford to live. Hes been really supportive and I feel really lucky to have met someone so great. I know I've got plenty of time til may next year but I figure it will be here before you know it and I'll need a fair bit of time to mentally prepare myself as well as sort out all my visas and come home for a visit (which I'm doing in March so lookout!) so I really need to make a decision quite soon about if I'm really going to do this this time around. What do you think? Am I ready?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Argh! That's A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

New York! Do it! So cool!

And apartment browsing! So sweet, Dan says. He's enjoying your relationship from afar. :-)

Nog Gallery! Cool too! So East London!

Jamie's Tomatoes. Nice one. Did you also try his plums?? Easy tiger. Cheeky!

So looking forward to coffee and catch up when I get back.

Evol Kween said...

Sounds like a great opp, Zoidberg. How could you refuse? Plus it's another reaon for me visit the Big Apple.

Now, why haven't you been blogging about this....Peter. How can I approve if I know nothing about him!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

(PS Steven emailed me to catch up for coffe one of the next two mornings, but i've client meetings I can't miss, which is a bummer.)