Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Brown Note unleashed

So, the much anticipated SUNN O))) review is finally here, in all its freshly steaming glory. I needed a day to think over the show and really mull over the experience because witnessing that kind of intensity live always needs a bit of perspective for a good review. Plus I still felt really fucking out of it yesterday because i actually lost my hearing for a day so I needed to just chill out before I started reminiscing about it.
We showed up at Queen Elizabeth Hall to an unbelievably diverse crowd. I'm always surprised to find who is a Sunn fan. In the mammoth bar queues (God the English love a good orderly queue!) I started a conversation with a 67 year old man who had brought a lovely looking date (she had no idea what she was in for, the poor thing. Never heard of Sunn. Didn't really understand the kind of music they played, plus she was wearing a neckerchief for God's sake) and was close to shitting his pants prematurely at the mere thought of finally seeing them. It was a lovely night so we ended up hanging outside and having a couple of pints pre-show and missed most of support band, Chrome Hoof which was a shame because what I did see, I loved (think prog/punk with splashes of ESG, Sabbath and Pavement) They were all wrapped up in aluminium foil outfits and had two choreo dancers (a dream job I hope to fulfill one day) to go along with their two drum kits, two bases, a horn section and multiple guitars. As Chrome Hoof finished I turned around to find my beloved Jarvis Cocker sitting in the row behind me! As Chrome Hoof and their belongings filed off stage, the wall of amps started to get piled onto it and at just the sight of all that ampage (there were 10 amps hanging from the rafters as well) I was creaming my pants. I know its pretty bogan of me but there is something I just adore about experiencing music at that level. Its like there is no escape from it. You could have earplugs in and be standing outside but the sound vibrations are so intense that you still feel every pulsating guitar sound. And thats exactly how it was. SUNN O))) are an assault on all your senses but not in the same way that 'regular' metal is. Thrash and Death Metal are more of the recognisable fast and furiously stabbing guitar sounds that you are used to and that has you panting and sweaty by the first 15 minutes. Sunn play music so achingly slow and loud (in their well suited Gregorian-esque hooded robes) that its a slow build up of tension that gets you in the end. Plus their sets are like one huge hour and a half song where you may possibly void your bowels (which I'm happy to report neither of us did, although we did enjoy pointing out which notes could have and then watched the stream of people dashing off to the bog) Its hard to really put into words what a live SUNN O))) experience is like. Its so different from their studio albums and it brings your appreciation of the band to a whole new level. Its pure genious to make noise that is as intelligent and sophisticated as theirs and to see them create this magic in front of you is something else entirely. Every sound they make is hypnotic from the whine of a miced angle grinder, to the gutteral growls of the 'lead singer' to the softer lilting strains of the violin bow on an electric, trying to stand on its own amongst all this noise. As the show came to a close I looked around and saw that just like before, this gig had a huge affect on everyone and no-one would ever be the same again. You are now affected by music in a completely different way where you feel it, instead of hear it. To sum up, the show fucking rocked. All hail the lords, SUNN O)))! For a few images from the night, feast your eyes on this

2 comments:

Evol Kween said...

*Sigh* I knew I'd regret not going while they were here.

euro trash said...

Fear not my dear. They have played Oz twice now and I'm sure they will come back at some point. You better not miss their next show though!