Wednesday, June 27, 2007

8 plus 1

After yesterdays blog, I was thinking about which big things I could confess up to that I didn't and that not many people knew about and there is one that, out of my circle of friends, only 1 person knows about. I've come a long way since then so its time to fess up and clear out those skeletons. And yes Evol, its to do with me 'volunteering' at the salvos all those years ago.

So before I started working in the wonderful world of resin, I was working for a large 'upmarket' department store in Melbourne. I was still relatively new to Melbourne and it was the first time I was living on my own (when I moved out in Sydney, I lived with my sister) I was finding it really hard going and felt myself barely keeping afloat on the surprisingly poor wages. A friend who also worked at said department store also found that she was struggling and after a few whispered meetings..... we decided to start embezzling money from the department store. At first we were careful and only took when we needed (you know, cause that makes it ok!) but because we were getting away with it, we kept going until we were stocking up our purses before a night out. I even remember the two of us taking ourselves to a well to do restaurant in Melbourne celebrating our genius. It seemed so easy and no one would have ever suspected us as we were two of the most respected and hardest working there.

A few months in a new girl started who was just looking to get caught. She would openly steal clothing and even took one of the security tag removers so she could go to other departments to load up. In short she wasn't careful and had the instore security circling our department like sharks which led them to checking the history of our register and noticing that there were innumerable refunds to the same two accounts. Two days after my birthday I was called up to HR and taken into the boardroom where instore security confronted me and kept me for questioning for 5 hours. At first I denied til I was blue in the face but the evidence was more than enough to convict me. During me questioning I heard that they had brought my partner in crime in as well who was screaming and causing a huge scene from what I could tell. After obviously terminating my contract, they called the police who arrested and handcuffed me and led me through the crowded ground floor cosmetics department, into, yes, the back of a paddy van parked in the middle of Bourke St Mall.
The police then detained me for another 6 hours and took the usual mug shots and finger prints and told me that I'd need to get myself a lawyer. Nearly a year passed which was one of the roughest of my life but it finally started to get better. I got a good job which turned into an amazing job, which then led me to start my own label and none of it would have happened unless I'd been fired.
I finally had to face my court date (which I told my current work was a 'doctors' appointment) and managed to get away without official conviction (which would have meant I couldn't have left the country for 8 years and i would be here) I had to pay all of the money back which I only just managed to do before I came here and I had 6 months of community service, which I told people was 'volunteer work'. You know whats really funny? I actually convinced myself that I was doing volunteer work and started bragging to people about how great it was to give something back! God, even I buy my own bullshit!

After I left, the rumours of the details of my departure were plentiful. From me stealing $50 000 to setting up some sort of designer black market where I was selling clothes half price. I actually remember seeing a few staff members from the department store come into my new work and be totally surprised at how well I was doing. I even remember seeing the old Store Manager on Chapel St who threw a smile my way.

Its strange to reread this blog and to some extent relive it. It was such a long time ago and I'm such a changed person because of it and I have to say, I'm grateful that it happened otherwise I'd probably still be stuck there 20 years later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky escape – in every sense. So, when are we doing coffee again?

euro trash said...

Hmmm, lets have a cafe olay on Friday? Unless you want to meet up today? I'm heading to the Dover Street Markets to spend some cash. Send me a text if you feel like coming along (they'll have discount Comme that doesn't look like American tourist wear!)God, we're hard workers...

Evol Kween said...

Is that all? Damn, I thought you might have been busted plotting to destroy the western world through nuclear war or something. You're a dark horse Susan.