Friday, March 30, 2007

going on a banksy hunt

So the last week I have been hitting the galleries pretty hard. There are heaps of exhibitions on as per usual and I've seen some inspiring work.
I caught Damien Hirst's latest show 'New Religion' which was shown in a church. I've always loved his work and his latest exhibition was no exception. It showed how society has transferred its faith in, well, faith to science, all of which I completely agree with.

I checked out a punk fly poster exhibition. These things are never a good idea for me. I always end up moping about awesome shows I've missed. Apparently I missed ESG last year dang nabbit.

The Harry Thubron show which was full of over priced mediocre collages. Doing this type of paper work is fine and yes, some pieces were beautiful but they were fairly bland tonal pieces which didn't warrant the £3000 price tag. I've seen some of his work in the Tate and have tried so hard to like him but to no avail. Speaking of all things pricey, I also caught the Banksy exhibition. I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I love graffiti artists (fyi Twist is my favorite graf artist of all time) and am happy to see them recognised on a grander scale but Oh. My. God. I don't think I've ever seen a stenciled canvas be sold for just under $200 000AUS (apparently he sold a piece for £200 000 in December which is around $500 000AUS) Not to judge but the guy who bought it certainly didn't seem like the type to appreciate it for what it was, rather he wanted to have it to say that he owned a 'Banksy' (which is painfully uber cool with the Sienna Miller types in this town) Who knows, I could be completely jealous and wrong but I sort of think that Banksy sells them at those crazily inflated prices as a bit of a joke on the rich saps that can afford to buy a stencil for such a price. It reminded me of an incident I witnessed before I left Oz when I went to see The Stooges. I was watching as Jim (I refuse to call him Iggy) paraded around the stage like a cock in front of all his hens, knowing that he could fuck as many of them as he wanted and have them do as he pleased. Mid set as if to prove his point, had all the young hapless fools singing 'Now I wanna be your dog' 'with' him. Proving indeed that the masses were in his control. Sort of like Banksy. Since being here I've been on a mission to find my favorite Banksy stencils. There are 114 known pieces in the city (of course the annoying thing is that like any graf art, they get removed pretty soon after they have been put up) and yesterday I found one of my favs on the streets of London for everyone to view. That same stencil was in the gallery for sale for a mere $100 000AUS (not that I would complain if anyone bought 'Gangsta Rat ' for me) Do these rich socialites not realise that THEY are the punch line here?

oh and by the way, does anyone know where the 'maid' stencil is at the moment? I've tried 3 trails for it in Shoreditch and Waterloo that all ended up cold. I heard rumours of it in Camden....
There are a few Banksy rat shots up on my flickr

No comments: