Tuesday, March 20, 2007

illuminating coldcuts


Tuesday night Leanne and I went to see Coldcut. The 'gig' got some bad reviews but I kind of enjoyed it. Although the crowd was always going to be hard to please. When you get a bunch of electronica kids with sci fi geeks and 'artiste' types in the one room, you can't please 'em all. First off let me say it was much more subdued than I expected. I knew it was going to be an electronica tribute to Robert Anton Wilson's 'Illuminatus' but I still thought it could have been kicked up a notch. The couple in front of me fell asleep (well, the girlfriend fell asleep. The boyfriend kept giving Alan Moore metal horns everytime he came to speak. I love Alan Moore and I'm a million shades of geek but that was too much, even for me)

Visually I love Coldcut. They always have a really interesting blend of graphics and use techniques that surprise the viewer and keep you waiting with baited breathe to see what they will use next. They had segmented the show into 4 parts and often layered Wilson being interviewed over the stream of consciousness and his theories.


Being honest I have to say that Ken Campbell was a disappointing speaker. Being THE guy who turned Illuminatus into a stage production I thought he would have had some great tales to tell over the mellowed beats playing in the background, but alas no. I would rather have listened to my mother regale me with tales of her latest adventures in the local gardening store.


Alan Moore on the otherhand was brilliant. He first read from Masks of the Illuminati (the 'tripping' passages) and then read a poem that he had written for the night. He was so captivating he could have been sitting there telling us about his last excursion to the crapper but because he did it with such enthusiasm I would have been taking notes and blogged about his bowel movements. Maybe Alan did deserve the metal horns afterall.

1 comment:

Evol Kween said...

There is no greater hand signal than the metal horn. The original gangsta signal.